Si Ya Temple

Posted by: Sunny T in Historical, Temple, Travel No Comments »

Si Ya Temple was first built by Kapitan Yap Ah Loy in the 1864 and it is the oldest Taoist temple in Kuala Lumpur. The temple located in the Chinatown area (14A Lebuh Pudu) closed Central Market. Si Ya Temple is the local version of Sin Sze Si Ya Temple. Its uniques structure of the traditional Chinese architecture were based on Feng Shui principles.

The temple is dedicated patron deities of Sin Sze Ya and Si Sze Ya. Sin Sze Si Ya Temple is one of the 13 temples in Peninsular Malaysia that are dedicated to Xian Shi Ye. A memorial plaque in the honor of the pioneers Chan Sow Lin, Yap Ah Shak, Yap Ah Loy and Yap Kwan Seng is also places at the entrance. The deities has guided Kapitan Yap Ah Loy to defeat the enemies and defend Kuala Lumpur during the civil war in 1870 to 1873. The temple also witnessed the birth and growth of our great city Kuala Lumpur.

The temple was the Chinese religious and community center of Kuala Lumpur. Also, the place where leadership of the Chinese community held meetings and made important decision about the administration of Kuala Lumpur. The temple is famous for its charity work and done through a trust. Since 1907, the temple has been donated two thirds its income every year to charity for educational and medical purposes.

St. Mary’s Cathedral also known as Cathedral of St. Marry the Virgin located along Jalan Raja (near Independence Square), Kuala Lumpur. It is the chief office of the Anglican Bishop of West Malaysia and also mother church of the diocese. St. Mary’s Cathedral is the oldest Anglican church in Kuala Lumpur. St. Mary’s Cathedral originally made of wood and built in 1887 on Bluff Road on top of a hill (Bukit Aman, headquarters of the Royal Malaysian Police) and served as the center for workshop and spiritual activities for Anglicans who were here in those days. This wooden church took $1,363 to build and could accommodate up to 95 people.

In 1893, parishioners grew gradually and a decision was made to erect a new building; a bigger church. The new site found alongside Parade Ground, now called Independence Square (Tataran Merdeka) of the Selangor Club. The new church was supplemented by gift of $5,000 from the government of Selangor. Local contributors to the building fund included personalities like Yap Kwan Seng and K. Thamboosamy Pillay, even though they were not Christians. AC Norman (Authur Charles Alfred Norman, who also designed many heritage building around Malaya), who the British architect and also planned the Sultan Abdul Samad Building, designed this modest specimen of architecture. The church designed is based on Early English Gothic architecture and won general approval.

The foundation stone was laid on February 3, 1894 by the British Resident of Selangor, Sir W.H. Treacher; in ceramony officiated by the Bishop G.F. Hose. A pipe organ built by Henry Willis was installed in the church in 1895. Henry Willis is a famous English organ maker in 19th century. Henry Willis also made the organ for St Paul’s Cathedral in London and the original Grand Organ of the Royal Albert Hall. In 1958, the backside of the main sanctuary was extended to build a huge hall, called the Jubilee Hall. The building consists of a nave 87 feet long by 28 feet wide and channel 29 feet long by 22 feet wide with an octagonal end, together with a vestry and organ chamber. The church nave can accommodate 180 people. The channel can house a choir of 20.

St. Marry Service details

St. Marry Service details

St. Marry built at 1875

St. Marry built at 1894

St John’s Cathedral located at Jalan Bukit Nanas, next to St. John’s Institution (known as Grecian-Spanish achitecture) and closed to Bukit Nanas Forest Reserve and Kuala Lumpur Tower. The church opened in 1883, its is a Roman Catholic church and aligned to the Archdiocese of Kuala Lumpur.

St. John Cathedral Front View

St. John Cathedral Front View

St. John Cathedral Main Entrance

St. John Cathedral Main Entrance

Central Market

Posted by: Sunny T in Historical, Market, Travel No Comments »

The construction cost to built this market is $48,000. Later, there got several subsequently expended in the years of 1895, 1920, 1921 and 1933. The old market is initially built by Yap Ah Loy. The British government took over the market and extended it to 250 feet long and 90 feet wide (cost around $167,000). This new market replaced with old market which eventually become the Central Market.

The old market built to serve Kuala Lumpur large tin mining community. Its also act as wet market that sold vegetable, fresh meat, seafood and daily item. City halls earmarked the building for demolition in the early 1980s. Malaysia Heritage Trust stepped in to save the building and now become a popular market for handicraft.

Central Market is a great place to shop and tourist can find a lot of Malaysian arts and crafts, souvenirs, antique, batik, portrait painted and ceramics. There got range of more than 130 quaint shops featuring traditional arts and crafts and become a must visit center of culture arts and handicraft for visitors and tourists. Other than that, inside the building got 30 food outlets, 140 small kiosks and an exhibition corner. Many performance, demonstrations and activities offered here. Besides the market, there a venue for traditional dance displays, shadow puppet (wayang kulit) and more entertainment.

Central Market Main Door View

Central Market Main Door View

Central Market Site View

Central Market Site View

Chin Woo Stadium

Posted by: Sunny T in Stadium, Travel No Comments »

Chin Woo Stadium is the one of oldest stadium in Kuala Lumpur. This stadium located at Jalan Hang Jebat, at the top of small hill. This hill also called “Chin Woo Shan” which means “The Hill of Chin Woo”. It’s also situated close to Stadium Merdeka and Stadium Negara. Chin Woo Stadium was constructed during the years of 1950 to 1953. The project was initially officiated by His Royal Highness Sultan Hishammuddin Alam Shah on August 1950. The opening ceremony was honorably officiated by His Excellency, Sir. Mc Donald (High Commissioner of Great Britain) and witnessed by local leaders on 11 December 1953. A year later, the construction of an Olympic sized swimming pool completed and officiated by Tan Sri Lee Guang Qian. The facility of the pool was considered the best in the region of South East Asia during the time.

The stadium contains badminton, basketball and swimming pool. Chin Woo Stadium is a famous stadium in the city and host important sporting events in town. This old stadium used to host many important badminton competitions in the past. Although many new stadiums nowadays equipped with latest technologies, but this old stadium still provide excellent facilities and has the ability to host prestigious competitions. There are available of basketball and badminton courts to hire.

Chine Woo Station Outlook

Chine Woo Station Outlook

Chin Woo Master

Chin Woo Master

Thean Hou Temple

Posted by: Sunny T in Temple, Travel No Comments »

Thean Hou Temple is one the largest Chinese temple in South-East Asia located on top of Robson Heights facing Jalan Syed Putra (formerly Lornie Raod), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. This temple built on land of 1.67 acres with 4 storeys and was start construction from 1981 to 1987. The officially opening held on September 1989 by Tan Sri Lee Kim Sai (former Housing and Local Government Minister). The cost for overall construction is RM7 million. The property is managed by Selangor & Federal Territory Hainan Association and built by Hainanese community living in Kuala Lumpur.

This syncretism temple with elements of Buddhism, Taoism and Confucianism is affectedly grand structure and successfully combining modern architectural techniques and authentic traditional designs. It features impressive pillars, spectacular roofs, ornate carvings and intricate embellishments that made it a popular tourist destination.

In sides the temple, there offers fortune telling and marriage registration services. The marriage registration service attracted up to 5,000 couples each year especially during the auspicious eighth lunar month. There are Chinese medicinal herbs garden and a wishing well (tortoise pond) in the temple grounds.

The main door and also the main entrance

The main door and also the main entrance

Red lanterns hang under the roof

Red lanterns hang under the roof

St. Paul’s Church

Posted by: Sunny T in Church, Malacca, Travel No Comments »

St.Paul′s Church is located on top of St.Paul′s Hill and was one of five churches in the fortress complex A Famosa on the hill. The St. Paul’s Church of Melaka was originally a Portuguese chapel built by Duarte Coelho in 1521, in gratitude to Our Lady of Grace (Joao de Barros of the 16th century) for a miraculous escape from an attack on his ship by a fleet in the South China Sea. This chapel was known as Chapel of the Mother of God (Madre de Deus) or Our Lady of the Hill (Nossa Senhora do Oiteiro). In 1548 the Archbishop of Goa in India, Don Albuquerque, handed over the church to the Society of Jesus. St. Francis Xavier, the pioneering Catholic missionary of Southeast Asia, received the title deeds on behalf of the Society.

In 1641, the Dutch took over Malacca from the Portuguese, renamed the chapel to St. Pau’s Church, and used it as their praying place until they completed the construction of their own church – Christ Church. When the Christ Church was established, St. Paul’s Church became a Dutch graveyard with monumental tombstones scattered around.

In 1952, a statue of St. Francis Xavier was built to commemorate the passing of the saint. Originally, the statue was completely constructed with the right arm in place. However, on the morning after the consecration ceremony, a large casuarina tree fell on it and broke off the right arm, resulted in a statue with missing arm until today.

Pudu Jail

Posted by: Sunny T in Historical, Travel No Comments »

Pudu Jail (known as Pudu Prison) is 114 year old today and was built by British administration of Malaya in year of 1895. It’s located in the heart of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. This historical landmark has land size of over 7.8 hectares was built on the junction of Hang Tuah Road and Pudu Road. It was used as a house criminals, drug offenders and corporal punishment. Pudu Jaill also is one of the symbols of old Kuala Lumpur’s innovation period in between 1880 to 1930.

The construction of the prison began in 1891 and was completed in 1895 designed by Charles Edwin Spooner (the state engineer) for original plan to hold 950 prisoners. The prison was built in six phases using steel, brick and cement imported from British colonies at the cost of RM138,000 ($320,000). This old prison was officially closed in November 1996. It was reopened in May 1997 as a temporary museum for very short time and closed again in early of 2004 planned for demolition to make a way of commercial and residential development. This reopening was attracting around 500,000 visitors a year. Inside the prison, the cell was small and dark, each of the window size like shoe box. People can see what it was living behind the walls during visiting.

The walls surrounding prison was painted with murals art by few prisoners. They have used over 2,000 liters of paint for murals painted on the walls circling the compound. It’s help to claim as “The world’s longest external mural” and completed painted in the early 1980s.

Pudu jail main enterance

Pudu jail main enterance

Prison cell

Prison cell

The painted murals

The painted murals

Prison guard house

Prison guard house

Malacca

Posted by: Sunny T in Malacca, Travel No Comments »

Malacca located at Peninsular Malaysia (West Malaysia) and facing to Strait of Malacca. It borders Negari Sembilan (to the north) and Johore (to the East). Malacca covers 1,650 sq. kilometers and divided into three districts as Alor Gajah (660 sq. kilometers), Central Malacca (314 sq. kilometers) and Jasin (676 sq. kilometers). Malacca also situated 150 kilometers from Kuala Lumpur (capital city of Malaysia) and 245 kilometers from north of Singapore. The best way travel to Malacca is using North-south highway linking Alor Star and Johore.

Malacca town located both of sides of Malacca River and know well as historical city of Malaysia. In the town, the most recommended place for shop and antique hunting is called Jalan Hang Jebat (also well known as Jonker Street or Jonker Walk). You can find foods, cloths, souvenir, jewelery and many antique shops at Jonker Walk. There got many extra stalls located both sides of street at Friday, Saturday and Sunday night. Jonker Walk night market start at 6:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m.

The oldest Dutch building situated at Dutch square

The oldest Dutch building situated at Dutch square

Malacca river at early morning

Malacca river at early morning. At the right side is Dutch Square

St. Paul’s Church originally called “Our Lady of The Hill” and is a Portuguese chapel built by Portuguese captain, Duarte Coelho in 1521.

St. Paul’s Church originally called “Our Lady of The Hill” and is a Portuguese chapel built by Portuguese captain, Duarte Coelho in 1521.

The Masjid Kampong Kling is one of the oldest mosques in Malaysia and built in 1748.

The Masjid Kampong Kling is one of the oldest mosques in Malaysia and built in 1748.

The railway station was built in 1910 for replacement of the older station as same location. Railway station located beside the road named as Jalan Sultan Hishamuddin and previously know as Victory Avenue.

The font view of Kuala Lumpur Railway Station

The font view of Kuala Lumpur Railway Station

Kuala Lumpur Railway Station located at Jalan Sultan Hishamuddin

Kuala Lumpur Railway Station located at Jalan Sultan Hishamuddin

The cafe shop besides platform

The cafe shop besides platform

The old train come out from platform

The old train come out from platform