St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church located on Jalan Raja Chulan, Kuala Lumpur and not far from Telekom Museum. This church was the original Scottish planter’s church. It was built between 1917 and 1918 and opened for worship amid much colonial fanfare. The building of this church was originally opposed by Loke Chow Kit who wanted the land for a Chinese language school.

The church has the best church pipe organ in working condition. The Riddel-Eminent organ is a hybrid made up of components of the original 1939 Riddell organ married to the 1998 Eminent console by organ builder Mr Robert Navaratnam of Singapore.

In 1992, the St. Andrew’s Cross was installed. The Cross is a replica of an 18th century brass altar cross found in the ancient church of Llandyfrydog on a wind-swept western isle in Britain.

The Holy Rosary Church

Posted by: Sunny T in Church, Travel No Comments »

Church Of The Holy Rosary located on Jalan Tun Sambanthan, Brickfields, inspires with its Gothic architecture. It was built in 1903 by Reverend J.F. Lambert, a French missionary. The easiest way to get here is to travel along Jalan Cheng Lock which leads to Jalan Tun Sambanthan. The church is on the left after the flyover.

The church was actually founded in 1883 and main reason is to cater to the needs of the Christian Chinese community of that time. Today, all sermons and mass are conducted in both language of Mandarin and English.

The building is an arresting sight as it boasts of elaborate Gothic features. Both its sides are lined with stained-glass windows and there are Mandarin characters, a legacy of the influence of its early parishioners.

National Monument

Posted by: Sunny T in Monument, Travel No Comments »

The National Monument is located at Jalan Parlimen, Kuala Lumpur and opposite the Lake Gardens. The monument is visited by many tourists that come to the city of Kuala Lumpur.

The idea for the construction of the National Monument (Tugu Peringatan Negara Malaysia) was mooted by the then Prime Minister of Malaysia, YTM Tunku Abdul Rahman Putra Alhaj in 1963 to commemorate the warriors who died defending the sovereignty of the country. The ceremony to commemorate the passing of these valiant soldiers are held here every year.

The 48,562 square metres area where the monument is located has 5 main components. They are the monument, the war memorial, the pavillion, the fountains and the surrounding gardens. The bronze monument represents the triumph of democracy was designed by Felix De Weldon (an American who was also the architect of the popular Iwo Jima Memorial, Washington) and was built at a cost of RM600,000. The memorial site, which was completed in 1966, took over five years to construct.

The National Monument stands at 15.54m high, and is made up of a diorama of seven bronze human figures, atop an oblong base; each figure denoting one of seven qualities: courage, leadership, sacrifice, strength, suffering, unity and vigilance. The topmost figure, at the centre, holds aloft the Malaysian flag. He is flanked on the left and right by two other soldiers, both armed; the figure on the left is armed with a machinegun, while the other carries a rifle and a bayonet. Kneeling slightly on the rightside of the central figure is a fourth soldier, who is tending to a fifth wounded compatriot. To the front and below these five figures are two fallen enemies.

Petaling Street

Posted by: Sunny T in Market, Travel No Comments »

Petaling Street well known as Chinatown located in the centre of Kuala Lumpur, southest of Central Market, bounded by Jalan Bandar, Jalan Petaling and Jalan Sultan. This area has dozens of restaurants and food stalls, serving local favorites foods such as barbecued fish, Asam Laksa, Curry Noodles, Hokkien Mee and etc. Traders here are mainly Chinese but there are also have Indian and Malay.

The original Chinatown centred on Market Square high street, now known as Jalan Tun H.S. Lee. became increasingly popular as it was higher than the rest of the town and therefore less prone to floods. The wealthier and more ornate shop houses were built north of Jalan Cheng Lock, closer to the business centre.

Kuala Lumpur was a typical “pioneer” town at the turn of the century, filled with a rough and tough population that was largely male. They were largely Cantonese and Hakkas who came to the city because of the tin trade, working as coolies in the mines. They were governed by a Chinese Kapitan or headmen. The most famous Chinese Kapitan is Yap Ah Loy, a Hakka.

In 1870, civil war erupted with the Chinese community being split along partisan lines into the Cantonese Ghee Hin and the Hakka Hai San secret societies. The British were called in to help end the strife but many of the buildings in the settlement were burnt down or severely damaged.

During the Selangor Civil War, the tin mines were abandoned and when the miners returned after the war, they found that the mines were flooded and therefore could not work. Yap Ah Loy persuaded the miners and coolies to remain in KL and the Malays in surrounding districts to grow rice and other garden products. He opened a Tapioca Mill in Petaling Street where the tubers from his farms were brought here to be ground into flour. Petaling Street is still fondly called ‘Chee Cheong Kai’ in Cantonese which means starch factory street.

In 2003, the road underwent a major RM11.3mil face lift with two large Chinese arches placed at both ends of the street to welcome visitors. It still pulls in many tourists, who go there to shop and will be regarded as a heritage site.

However, Petaling Street is still the best place to shop for counterfeit branded products and has large selection of local Chinese cuisine. For buyers, it is often possible to negotiate the price tag of an item such as watches, clothing and all counterfeit items. Petaling Street does not exclusively offer pirated products. Haggling is a common sight here and the place is usually crowded with locals as well as tourists.

Kuala Lumpur Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall was established in 1923 and located at Jalan Maharajalela, Kuala Lumpur, club building is in the Republic of China Niansan year (1934) completed by the opening ceremony of His Royal Highness the Sultan of Selangor. Malaysian Ministry of Culture and Arts and Heritage, 2005, Long Xue Hua Tang building as a national cultural heritage, and the allocation of repair on the first floor of the auditorium. A good building, in principle, must contain three elements, namely, practical, strong and beautiful.

As a public space, nearly 80 years, bustling, the people in the building at the Long Xue Hua Tang busy meeting, listen to lectures, watching stage performances, attend the banquet celebrating the handling of various issues and participate in various activities. Everyone has always been the direction, straight hall, auditorium, conference rooms, offices, toilets; the focus of attention naturally falls on the podium, stage, speakers, performers, presenters. May not leisure, is also not used towards the City Hall’s moment in the long-range look at the building’s appearance, close observation of the door decoration, found in different columns, different characteristics of the stigma, touch the walls and staircase railings , and then look up on the first floor structure and the dome shape.

The Sultan Addul Samad Building is located in front of the Independence Square and designed by A.C. Norman. The building construction started in 1894 and was completed in 1897. The building architecture was built using Moorish architecture and named after Sultan of Selangor who reigned from 1857 to 1898. A.C. Norman spent time in Africa and saw Muslim mosques in India which led him to use Moorish architecture in the building’s design.

The building has a shiny cooper dome and 41.2 metres high clock tower (central tower). It was constructed of red bricks and has a 2 metre wide verandah around both floors. The red bricks are exposed and have white plaster lined arches and striped which have became known as blood and bandages style. Several forms of arches such as ogee arch, horse shoe arch, pointed arch and multifoil arch were used to build the structure. It has 3 towers namely the tallest Central Clock Tower and 2 shorter circulation towers. All the towers have onion shaped domes with copper coverings.

The building became the centre of British administration in Selangor. The ground floor initially housed the Public Works Department, District Offices, Mines Department, Lands, Audit, and Treasury, with each office having its own vault. The Post Office and the Sanitary Board were also located here. On the first floor were the offices of the Secretariat, a State Council Room, a Sanitary Board Hall, rooms for the Resident and other officials and Chinese Secretariat.

Many historical events had been held in front of this building. Among them was the declaration of independence of Malaysia (Malaya then) on 31 August, 1957 and the lowering of the Union Jack. On 1 January 1982, the clock tower became the venue for another historic event when the time between Peninsular Malaysia, Sabah, Sarawak and Singapore were standardized.

Royal Selangor Club

Posted by: Sunny T in Club, Historical No Comments »

The Royal Selangor Club founded in 1884 by the British as a social club in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. The club located next to Independence Square and can be accessible from Jalan Raja. The club started out as a tiny wooden building with an “attap” roof and act as a meeting point for educated and high-ranking members of British Colonial society.

The membership to the club is primarily determined by high educational and social standards. In 1890, the club was replaced with two-storey structure designed by AC Norman, a Government Architect. The building was later redesigned by architect Arthur Bension Hubback and rebuild in 1910.

Over the years, the club’s membership increased and has also began to include high-ranking Malaysian civil servants (judges, lawyers and important people in society).

This building construction work from 1897 and was completed in 1906. Chan See Shu Yuen is the one of the oldest surviving Buddhist temples in Malaysia. The old temple located at southern end of Jalan Petaling (China Town). The building richest examples of Shek Wan. Shek Wan is a pottery style of roof and exterior wall decoration originally from southern of China. It has a beautiful open courtyards and pavilions.

There are many documents tell of the hardship that went into construction the building. All the building materials and craftsman were brought from China. Visitor can see there are extensive, elaborate and decorative cravings. The temple colourful of Chinese architecture on display is a delight to see.

Kuala Lumpur Lake Gardens

Posted by: Sunny T in Garden, Travel No Comments »

Kuala Lumpur Lake Gardens was built in 1888, in the western suburbs in the city. This garden is the oldest and most popular park and located at off Jalan Parlimen. In the late 19th century, the gardens build around two artificial lakes. It is used to be British elite built their fine homes in the colonial times. Alfred R Venning (the State Treasurer) proposed to turn the swampy valley of Sungai Bras-Bras into botanic garden. The British Resident, Frank Swettenham strongly supports. Local Chinese community leader, Towkay Chow Ah Yeok contributed 100 white champaca and orange trees.

Lake Gardens (Taman Tasik Perdana in Malay) situated at the heart of Kuala Lumpur on land of 91.6 hectare (230 acres). The gardens incorporate the National Monument, Deer Park, Butterfly Park, Bird Park, Carcosa Seri Negara, The Forest Research Institute, Orchid Garden and Hibiscus Garden. This garden is the oldest and most popular park in Kuala Lumpur. The garden provided service of children’s playgrounds, jogging trails, fitness field, exercise stations and rowing boats.

Stadium Merdeka

Posted by: Sunny T in Stadium, Travel No Comments »

Stadium Merdeka (Independence Stadium) is an outdoor stadium for sports, games and activities both national and international. Stadium Merdeka is located in the center of the city in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. This old stadium was constructed from September, 25 1956 to August, 21 1957 and initially erected for Malaysia’s declaration of independence on 31 August 1957. The British handed over the powers to the government of the country. It is a huge outdoor stadium and accommodate around 40,000 people. In February 2003, Stadium Merdeka was named a national heritage building.