Sri Maha Mariamman

Posted by: Sunny T in Historical, Temple, Travel Add comments

The Sri Maha Mariamman Temple is founded by Thambusamy Pillai in 1873 and was initially used as a private shrine by the Pillai family. The Temple was originally sited near the Kuala Lumpur Railway Station. It shifted to its present location along Jalan Tun H S Lee (next to Kuala Lumpur Chinatown) in 1885. The family threw open the temple door to the public in the late 1920s and handed the management of the temple over to a board of trustees.

The initial “attap” structure was demolished in 1887 and a brick building was erected in its place after the major fire of Kuala Lumpur . That structure was demolished to make way for the current temple buildings which were completed in 1968. The impressive gateway to the Temple (gopuram) was completed in 1972. This new Temple was consecrated in 1973.

The Temple opens daily from 6.00AM to 9.00PM. Visitors are reminded to remove their footwear before entering the Temple.

Comments are closed.