Royal Selangor Club

Posted by: Sunny T in Club, Historical Add comments

The Royal Selangor Club founded in 1884 by the British as a social club in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. The club located next to Independence Square and can be accessible from Jalan Raja. The club started out as a tiny wooden building with an “attap” roof and act as a meeting point for educated and high-ranking members of British Colonial society.

The membership to the club is primarily determined by high educational and social standards. In 1890, the club was replaced with two-storey structure designed by AC Norman, a Government Architect. The building was later redesigned by architect Arthur Bension Hubback and rebuild in 1910.

Over the years, the club’s membership increased and has also began to include high-ranking Malaysian civil servants (judges, lawyers and important people in society).

Comments are closed.