St. Mary’s Cathedral also known as Cathedral of St. Marry the Virgin located along Jalan Raja (near Independence Square), Kuala Lumpur. It is the chief office of the Anglican Bishop of West Malaysia and also mother church of the diocese. St. Mary’s Cathedral is the oldest Anglican church in Kuala Lumpur. St. Mary’s Cathedral originally made of wood and built in 1887 on Bluff Road on top of a hill (Bukit Aman, headquarters of the Royal Malaysian Police) and served as the center for workshop and spiritual activities for Anglicans who were here in those days. This wooden church took $1,363 to build and could accommodate up to 95 people.

In 1893, parishioners grew gradually and a decision was made to erect a new building; a bigger church. The new site found alongside Parade Ground, now called Independence Square (Tataran Merdeka) of the Selangor Club. The new church was supplemented by gift of $5,000 from the government of Selangor. Local contributors to the building fund included personalities like Yap Kwan Seng and K. Thamboosamy Pillay, even though they were not Christians. AC Norman (Authur Charles Alfred Norman, who also designed many heritage building around Malaya), who the British architect and also planned the Sultan Abdul Samad Building, designed this modest specimen of architecture. The church designed is based on Early English Gothic architecture and won general approval.

The foundation stone was laid on February 3, 1894 by the British Resident of Selangor, Sir W.H. Treacher; in ceramony officiated by the Bishop G.F. Hose. A pipe organ built by Henry Willis was installed in the church in 1895. Henry Willis is a famous English organ maker in 19th century. Henry Willis also made the organ for St Paul’s Cathedral in London and the original Grand Organ of the Royal Albert Hall. In 1958, the backside of the main sanctuary was extended to build a huge hall, called the Jubilee Hall. The building consists of a nave 87 feet long by 28 feet wide and channel 29 feet long by 22 feet wide with an octagonal end, together with a vestry and organ chamber. The church nave can accommodate 180 people. The channel can house a choir of 20.

St. Marry Service details

St. Marry Service details

St. Marry built at 1875

St. Marry built at 1894

Comments are closed.