Kampung Keling Mosque

Posted by: Sunny T in Malacca, Mosque, Travel No Comments »

Kampung Kling Mosque located on the corner of Jalan Hang Lekiu and Jalan Tokong, or Temple Street, in Malacca. The mosque is built in 1748 and the oldest mosques in Malaysia.

Kampung Kling Mosque and its neighbors Cheng Hoon Teng Temple and Sri Poyatha Venayaga Moorthi Temple. It’s is a great symbolic example of racial and religious tolerant that existence in Malaysia old day.

The building architecture is Sumatran and with strong Hindu influences. This is particularly evident in the minaret which resembles a pagoda. There also could find unusual blend of English and Portuguese glazed titles, Corinthian columns with symmetrical arches. A Victorian chandelier and a wooden pulpit with Hindu and Chinese style carvings and Moorish cast iron lamp posts in the place of abulate for pre-prayer cleaning.

Cheng Hoon Teng Temple

Posted by: Sunny T in Malacca, Temple, Travel No Comments »

The Cheng Hoon Teng Temple is a Taoist temple and meaning of “Temple of Clear Clouds”. The temple is located at No. 25 Jalan Tokong, Malacca Town, Malaysia. It is the oldest functioning temple in Malaysia with covering of 4,600 square metres. The temple built in 1645 by Kapitan Lee Wei King with building materials imported from China, Cheng Hoon Teng served as the main place of worship for the local Hoklo (Hokkien) community. The main hall was built by Kapitan Chan Ki Lock in 1704 and was rebuilt in 1801 by Kapitan China Chua Su Cheong, who contributed to the aesthetic and magnificent structural additions of the building.

The temple is dedicated to Kwan Yin, the Goddess of Mercy, whose statue is enshrined in the main hall. The side halls are dedicated to Ma Choe Poh, the Queen of Heavan and protector of fishermen and sailors; the red faced Kwan Ti, god of war, patron of literature and upholder of justice; and Sui Tai, the golden faced Goddess of Wealth. In a rear hall, memorial tablets commemorate temple leaders.

The temple, with its curved roof ridge, cut-and-paste chien nien decoration, and gable design, reflects the architectural style of South China, of craftsmen from Fujian and Guangdong. On the walls are the Eighteen Lorhans, now encased behind glass. On the outside of the main hall are columns with gold calligraphy in cao-shu, a grass style script. Within the grounds of the Cheng Hoon Teng are stelae, stone tables commemorating special events. The walls of the temples are all painted with limewash. In the olden days, lime was used instead of cement. Everything was derived from natural sources. The lime comes from the oyster shells and soot from charcoal.