Sri Maha Mariamman

Posted by: Sunny T in Historical, Temple, Travel No Comments »

The Sri Maha Mariamman Temple is founded by Thambusamy Pillai in 1873 and was initially used as a private shrine by the Pillai family. The Temple was originally sited near the Kuala Lumpur Railway Station. It shifted to its present location along Jalan Tun H S Lee (next to Kuala Lumpur Chinatown) in 1885. The family threw open the temple door to the public in the late 1920s and handed the management of the temple over to a board of trustees.

The initial “attap” structure was demolished in 1887 and a brick building was erected in its place after the major fire of Kuala Lumpur . That structure was demolished to make way for the current temple buildings which were completed in 1968. The impressive gateway to the Temple (gopuram) was completed in 1972. This new Temple was consecrated in 1973.

The Temple opens daily from 6.00AM to 9.00PM. Visitors are reminded to remove their footwear before entering the Temple.

Kuan Ti Temple

Posted by: Sunny T in Temple, Travel No Comments »

Kuan Ti Temple located on Jalan Tun H. S. Lee nearby China Town. This temple also known as Guan Ti or Kwong Siew Temple and is a Taoist temple dedicated to a Chinese deity, Kuan Ti, the God of War & Literature. Two stone lions guard the temple at the entrance and in the main lobby, statues of the God of Examinations & Fate and the God of the Elderly greet visitors to its main prayer hall, where the statue of Kuan Ti proudly takes it place at the central altar.

This temple is built in 1888 by the Selangor & Federal Territory Kwong Siew Association. Visitors may find it interesting to know that the temple houses an antique – a ‘guan dao’. This long knife has been brought here from China more than 100 years ago. Legend has it that such a weapon was the favourite of Kuan Ti.

From 1898 to 1902, it also helped to settle disputes that were lodged with the association by fellow villagers as well as those from other municipalities. According to records, a total of 486 cases of dispute were mediated within this period, many of which were settled to the satisfaction of all parties. It is therefore not surprising that the temple is dedicated to the God of Righteousness.