Royal Selangor Club

Posted by: Sunny T in Club, Historical No Comments »

The Royal Selangor Club founded in 1884 by the British as a social club in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. The club located next to Independence Square and can be accessible from Jalan Raja. The club started out as a tiny wooden building with an “attap” roof and act as a meeting point for educated and high-ranking members of British Colonial society.

The membership to the club is primarily determined by high educational and social standards. In 1890, the club was replaced with two-storey structure designed by AC Norman, a Government Architect. The building was later redesigned by architect Arthur Bension Hubback and rebuild in 1910.

Over the years, the club’s membership increased and has also began to include high-ranking Malaysian civil servants (judges, lawyers and important people in society).

This building construction work from 1897 and was completed in 1906. Chan See Shu Yuen is the one of the oldest surviving Buddhist temples in Malaysia. The old temple located at southern end of Jalan Petaling (China Town). The building richest examples of Shek Wan. Shek Wan is a pottery style of roof and exterior wall decoration originally from southern of China. It has a beautiful open courtyards and pavilions.

There are many documents tell of the hardship that went into construction the building. All the building materials and craftsman were brought from China. Visitor can see there are extensive, elaborate and decorative cravings. The temple colourful of Chinese architecture on display is a delight to see.