Pudu Jail

Posted by: Sunny T in Historical, Travel No Comments »

Pudu Jail (known as Pudu Prison) is 114 year old today and was built by British administration of Malaya in year of 1895. It’s located in the heart of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. This historical landmark has land size of over 7.8 hectares was built on the junction of Hang Tuah Road and Pudu Road. It was used as a house criminals, drug offenders and corporal punishment. Pudu Jaill also is one of the symbols of old Kuala Lumpur’s innovation period in between 1880 to 1930.

The construction of the prison began in 1891 and was completed in 1895 designed by Charles Edwin Spooner (the state engineer) for original plan to hold 950 prisoners. The prison was built in six phases using steel, brick and cement imported from British colonies at the cost of RM138,000 ($320,000). This old prison was officially closed in November 1996. It was reopened in May 1997 as a temporary museum for very short time and closed again in early of 2004 planned for demolition to make a way of commercial and residential development. This reopening was attracting around 500,000 visitors a year. Inside the prison, the cell was small and dark, each of the window size like shoe box. People can see what it was living behind the walls during visiting.

The walls surrounding prison was painted with murals art by few prisoners. They have used over 2,000 liters of paint for murals painted on the walls circling the compound. It’s help to claim as “The world’s longest external mural” and completed painted in the early 1980s.

Pudu jail main enterance

Pudu jail main enterance

Prison cell

Prison cell

The painted murals

The painted murals

Prison guard house

Prison guard house