St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church located on Jalan Raja Chulan, Kuala Lumpur and not far from Telekom Museum. This church was the original Scottish planter’s church. It was built between 1917 and 1918 and opened for worship amid much colonial fanfare. The building of this church was originally opposed by Loke Chow Kit who wanted the land for a Chinese language school.

The church has the best church pipe organ in working condition. The Riddel-Eminent organ is a hybrid made up of components of the original 1939 Riddell organ married to the 1998 Eminent console by organ builder Mr Robert Navaratnam of Singapore.

In 1992, the St. Andrew’s Cross was installed. The Cross is a replica of an 18th century brass altar cross found in the ancient church of Llandyfrydog on a wind-swept western isle in Britain.

The Holy Rosary Church

Posted by: Sunny T in Church, Travel No Comments »

Church Of The Holy Rosary located on Jalan Tun Sambanthan, Brickfields, inspires with its Gothic architecture. It was built in 1903 by Reverend J.F. Lambert, a French missionary. The easiest way to get here is to travel along Jalan Cheng Lock which leads to Jalan Tun Sambanthan. The church is on the left after the flyover.

The church was actually founded in 1883 and main reason is to cater to the needs of the Christian Chinese community of that time. Today, all sermons and mass are conducted in both language of Mandarin and English.

The building is an arresting sight as it boasts of elaborate Gothic features. Both its sides are lined with stained-glass windows and there are Mandarin characters, a legacy of the influence of its early parishioners.

St. Mary’s Cathedral also known as Cathedral of St. Marry the Virgin located along Jalan Raja (near Independence Square), Kuala Lumpur. It is the chief office of the Anglican Bishop of West Malaysia and also mother church of the diocese. St. Mary’s Cathedral is the oldest Anglican church in Kuala Lumpur. St. Mary’s Cathedral originally made of wood and built in 1887 on Bluff Road on top of a hill (Bukit Aman, headquarters of the Royal Malaysian Police) and served as the center for workshop and spiritual activities for Anglicans who were here in those days. This wooden church took $1,363 to build and could accommodate up to 95 people.

In 1893, parishioners grew gradually and a decision was made to erect a new building; a bigger church. The new site found alongside Parade Ground, now called Independence Square (Tataran Merdeka) of the Selangor Club. The new church was supplemented by gift of $5,000 from the government of Selangor. Local contributors to the building fund included personalities like Yap Kwan Seng and K. Thamboosamy Pillay, even though they were not Christians. AC Norman (Authur Charles Alfred Norman, who also designed many heritage building around Malaya), who the British architect and also planned the Sultan Abdul Samad Building, designed this modest specimen of architecture. The church designed is based on Early English Gothic architecture and won general approval.

The foundation stone was laid on February 3, 1894 by the British Resident of Selangor, Sir W.H. Treacher; in ceramony officiated by the Bishop G.F. Hose. A pipe organ built by Henry Willis was installed in the church in 1895. Henry Willis is a famous English organ maker in 19th century. Henry Willis also made the organ for St Paul’s Cathedral in London and the original Grand Organ of the Royal Albert Hall. In 1958, the backside of the main sanctuary was extended to build a huge hall, called the Jubilee Hall. The building consists of a nave 87 feet long by 28 feet wide and channel 29 feet long by 22 feet wide with an octagonal end, together with a vestry and organ chamber. The church nave can accommodate 180 people. The channel can house a choir of 20.

St. Marry Service details

St. Marry Service details

St. Marry built at 1875

St. Marry built at 1894

St John’s Cathedral located at Jalan Bukit Nanas, next to St. John’s Institution (known as Grecian-Spanish achitecture) and closed to Bukit Nanas Forest Reserve and Kuala Lumpur Tower. The church opened in 1883, its is a Roman Catholic church and aligned to the Archdiocese of Kuala Lumpur.

St. John Cathedral Front View

St. John Cathedral Front View

St. John Cathedral Main Entrance

St. John Cathedral Main Entrance

St. Paul’s Church

Posted by: Sunny T in Church, Malacca, Travel No Comments »

St.Paul′s Church is located on top of St.Paul′s Hill and was one of five churches in the fortress complex A Famosa on the hill. The St. Paul’s Church of Melaka was originally a Portuguese chapel built by Duarte Coelho in 1521, in gratitude to Our Lady of Grace (Joao de Barros of the 16th century) for a miraculous escape from an attack on his ship by a fleet in the South China Sea. This chapel was known as Chapel of the Mother of God (Madre de Deus) or Our Lady of the Hill (Nossa Senhora do Oiteiro). In 1548 the Archbishop of Goa in India, Don Albuquerque, handed over the church to the Society of Jesus. St. Francis Xavier, the pioneering Catholic missionary of Southeast Asia, received the title deeds on behalf of the Society.

In 1641, the Dutch took over Malacca from the Portuguese, renamed the chapel to St. Pau’s Church, and used it as their praying place until they completed the construction of their own church – Christ Church. When the Christ Church was established, St. Paul’s Church became a Dutch graveyard with monumental tombstones scattered around.

In 1952, a statue of St. Francis Xavier was built to commemorate the passing of the saint. Originally, the statue was completely constructed with the right arm in place. However, on the morning after the consecration ceremony, a large casuarina tree fell on it and broke off the right arm, resulted in a statue with missing arm until today.