The Stadhuys

Posted by: Sunny T in Historical, Malacca No Comments »

Building Stadhuys that is built in 1650 as the official residence of Dutch Governor and his officials are the best examples of Dutch architecture of that. It is believed to be the oldest Dutch building in the East. Building An outstanding example of colonial Dutch architecture, it now contains the Museum of History and Ethnography Museum. On display are traditional bridal costumes and relics from the history of Malacca 400 years ago. Both museums are well organized and detailed explanations of how these costumes and relics played a role in the past.

Kampung Keling Mosque

Posted by: Sunny T in Malacca, Mosque, Travel No Comments »

Kampung Kling Mosque located on the corner of Jalan Hang Lekiu and Jalan Tokong, or Temple Street, in Malacca. The mosque is built in 1748 and the oldest mosques in Malaysia.

Kampung Kling Mosque and its neighbors Cheng Hoon Teng Temple and Sri Poyatha Venayaga Moorthi Temple. It’s is a great symbolic example of racial and religious tolerant that existence in Malaysia old day.

The building architecture is Sumatran and with strong Hindu influences. This is particularly evident in the minaret which resembles a pagoda. There also could find unusual blend of English and Portuguese glazed titles, Corinthian columns with symmetrical arches. A Victorian chandelier and a wooden pulpit with Hindu and Chinese style carvings and Moorish cast iron lamp posts in the place of abulate for pre-prayer cleaning.

Cheng Hoon Teng Temple

Posted by: Sunny T in Malacca, Temple, Travel No Comments »

The Cheng Hoon Teng Temple is a Taoist temple and meaning of “Temple of Clear Clouds”. The temple is located at No. 25 Jalan Tokong, Malacca Town, Malaysia. It is the oldest functioning temple in Malaysia with covering of 4,600 square metres. The temple built in 1645 by Kapitan Lee Wei King with building materials imported from China, Cheng Hoon Teng served as the main place of worship for the local Hoklo (Hokkien) community. The main hall was built by Kapitan Chan Ki Lock in 1704 and was rebuilt in 1801 by Kapitan China Chua Su Cheong, who contributed to the aesthetic and magnificent structural additions of the building.

The temple is dedicated to Kwan Yin, the Goddess of Mercy, whose statue is enshrined in the main hall. The side halls are dedicated to Ma Choe Poh, the Queen of Heavan and protector of fishermen and sailors; the red faced Kwan Ti, god of war, patron of literature and upholder of justice; and Sui Tai, the golden faced Goddess of Wealth. In a rear hall, memorial tablets commemorate temple leaders.

The temple, with its curved roof ridge, cut-and-paste chien nien decoration, and gable design, reflects the architectural style of South China, of craftsmen from Fujian and Guangdong. On the walls are the Eighteen Lorhans, now encased behind glass. On the outside of the main hall are columns with gold calligraphy in cao-shu, a grass style script. Within the grounds of the Cheng Hoon Teng are stelae, stone tables commemorating special events. The walls of the temples are all painted with limewash. In the olden days, lime was used instead of cement. Everything was derived from natural sources. The lime comes from the oyster shells and soot from charcoal.

St. Paul’s Church

Posted by: Sunny T in Church, Malacca, Travel No Comments »

St.Paul′s Church is located on top of St.Paul′s Hill and was one of five churches in the fortress complex A Famosa on the hill. The St. Paul’s Church of Melaka was originally a Portuguese chapel built by Duarte Coelho in 1521, in gratitude to Our Lady of Grace (Joao de Barros of the 16th century) for a miraculous escape from an attack on his ship by a fleet in the South China Sea. This chapel was known as Chapel of the Mother of God (Madre de Deus) or Our Lady of the Hill (Nossa Senhora do Oiteiro). In 1548 the Archbishop of Goa in India, Don Albuquerque, handed over the church to the Society of Jesus. St. Francis Xavier, the pioneering Catholic missionary of Southeast Asia, received the title deeds on behalf of the Society.

In 1641, the Dutch took over Malacca from the Portuguese, renamed the chapel to St. Pau’s Church, and used it as their praying place until they completed the construction of their own church – Christ Church. When the Christ Church was established, St. Paul’s Church became a Dutch graveyard with monumental tombstones scattered around.

In 1952, a statue of St. Francis Xavier was built to commemorate the passing of the saint. Originally, the statue was completely constructed with the right arm in place. However, on the morning after the consecration ceremony, a large casuarina tree fell on it and broke off the right arm, resulted in a statue with missing arm until today.

Malacca

Posted by: Sunny T in Malacca, Travel No Comments »

Malacca located at Peninsular Malaysia (West Malaysia) and facing to Strait of Malacca. It borders Negari Sembilan (to the north) and Johore (to the East). Malacca covers 1,650 sq. kilometers and divided into three districts as Alor Gajah (660 sq. kilometers), Central Malacca (314 sq. kilometers) and Jasin (676 sq. kilometers). Malacca also situated 150 kilometers from Kuala Lumpur (capital city of Malaysia) and 245 kilometers from north of Singapore. The best way travel to Malacca is using North-south highway linking Alor Star and Johore.

Malacca town located both of sides of Malacca River and know well as historical city of Malaysia. In the town, the most recommended place for shop and antique hunting is called Jalan Hang Jebat (also well known as Jonker Street or Jonker Walk). You can find foods, cloths, souvenir, jewelery and many antique shops at Jonker Walk. There got many extra stalls located both sides of street at Friday, Saturday and Sunday night. Jonker Walk night market start at 6:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m.

The oldest Dutch building situated at Dutch square

The oldest Dutch building situated at Dutch square

Malacca river at early morning

Malacca river at early morning. At the right side is Dutch Square

St. Paul’s Church originally called “Our Lady of The Hill” and is a Portuguese chapel built by Portuguese captain, Duarte Coelho in 1521.

St. Paul’s Church originally called “Our Lady of The Hill” and is a Portuguese chapel built by Portuguese captain, Duarte Coelho in 1521.

The Masjid Kampong Kling is one of the oldest mosques in Malaysia and built in 1748.

The Masjid Kampong Kling is one of the oldest mosques in Malaysia and built in 1748.