The Holy Rosary Church

Posted by: Sunny T in Church, Travel No Comments »

Church Of The Holy Rosary located on Jalan Tun Sambanthan, Brickfields, inspires with its Gothic architecture. It was built in 1903 by Reverend J.F. Lambert, a French missionary. The easiest way to get here is to travel along Jalan Cheng Lock which leads to Jalan Tun Sambanthan. The church is on the left after the flyover.

The church was actually founded in 1883 and main reason is to cater to the needs of the Christian Chinese community of that time. Today, all sermons and mass are conducted in both language of Mandarin and English.

The building is an arresting sight as it boasts of elaborate Gothic features. Both its sides are lined with stained-glass windows and there are Mandarin characters, a legacy of the influence of its early parishioners.

National Monument

Posted by: Sunny T in Monument, Travel No Comments »

The National Monument is located at Jalan Parlimen, Kuala Lumpur and opposite the Lake Gardens. The monument is visited by many tourists that come to the city of Kuala Lumpur.

The idea for the construction of the National Monument (Tugu Peringatan Negara Malaysia) was mooted by the then Prime Minister of Malaysia, YTM Tunku Abdul Rahman Putra Alhaj in 1963 to commemorate the warriors who died defending the sovereignty of the country. The ceremony to commemorate the passing of these valiant soldiers are held here every year.

The 48,562 square metres area where the monument is located has 5 main components. They are the monument, the war memorial, the pavillion, the fountains and the surrounding gardens. The bronze monument represents the triumph of democracy was designed by Felix De Weldon (an American who was also the architect of the popular Iwo Jima Memorial, Washington) and was built at a cost of RM600,000. The memorial site, which was completed in 1966, took over five years to construct.

The National Monument stands at 15.54m high, and is made up of a diorama of seven bronze human figures, atop an oblong base; each figure denoting one of seven qualities: courage, leadership, sacrifice, strength, suffering, unity and vigilance. The topmost figure, at the centre, holds aloft the Malaysian flag. He is flanked on the left and right by two other soldiers, both armed; the figure on the left is armed with a machinegun, while the other carries a rifle and a bayonet. Kneeling slightly on the rightside of the central figure is a fourth soldier, who is tending to a fifth wounded compatriot. To the front and below these five figures are two fallen enemies.

Petaling Street

Posted by: Sunny T in Market, Travel No Comments »

Petaling Street well known as Chinatown located in the centre of Kuala Lumpur, southest of Central Market, bounded by Jalan Bandar, Jalan Petaling and Jalan Sultan. This area has dozens of restaurants and food stalls, serving local favorites foods such as barbecued fish, Asam Laksa, Curry Noodles, Hokkien Mee and etc. Traders here are mainly Chinese but there are also have Indian and Malay.

The original Chinatown centred on Market Square high street, now known as Jalan Tun H.S. Lee. became increasingly popular as it was higher than the rest of the town and therefore less prone to floods. The wealthier and more ornate shop houses were built north of Jalan Cheng Lock, closer to the business centre.

Kuala Lumpur was a typical “pioneer” town at the turn of the century, filled with a rough and tough population that was largely male. They were largely Cantonese and Hakkas who came to the city because of the tin trade, working as coolies in the mines. They were governed by a Chinese Kapitan or headmen. The most famous Chinese Kapitan is Yap Ah Loy, a Hakka.

In 1870, civil war erupted with the Chinese community being split along partisan lines into the Cantonese Ghee Hin and the Hakka Hai San secret societies. The British were called in to help end the strife but many of the buildings in the settlement were burnt down or severely damaged.

During the Selangor Civil War, the tin mines were abandoned and when the miners returned after the war, they found that the mines were flooded and therefore could not work. Yap Ah Loy persuaded the miners and coolies to remain in KL and the Malays in surrounding districts to grow rice and other garden products. He opened a Tapioca Mill in Petaling Street where the tubers from his farms were brought here to be ground into flour. Petaling Street is still fondly called ‘Chee Cheong Kai’ in Cantonese which means starch factory street.

In 2003, the road underwent a major RM11.3mil face lift with two large Chinese arches placed at both ends of the street to welcome visitors. It still pulls in many tourists, who go there to shop and will be regarded as a heritage site.

However, Petaling Street is still the best place to shop for counterfeit branded products and has large selection of local Chinese cuisine. For buyers, it is often possible to negotiate the price tag of an item such as watches, clothing and all counterfeit items. Petaling Street does not exclusively offer pirated products. Haggling is a common sight here and the place is usually crowded with locals as well as tourists.

This building construction work from 1897 and was completed in 1906. Chan See Shu Yuen is the one of the oldest surviving Buddhist temples in Malaysia. The old temple located at southern end of Jalan Petaling (China Town). The building richest examples of Shek Wan. Shek Wan is a pottery style of roof and exterior wall decoration originally from southern of China. It has a beautiful open courtyards and pavilions.

There are many documents tell of the hardship that went into construction the building. All the building materials and craftsman were brought from China. Visitor can see there are extensive, elaborate and decorative cravings. The temple colourful of Chinese architecture on display is a delight to see.

Kuala Lumpur Lake Gardens

Posted by: Sunny T in Garden, Travel No Comments »

Kuala Lumpur Lake Gardens was built in 1888, in the western suburbs in the city. This garden is the oldest and most popular park and located at off Jalan Parlimen. In the late 19th century, the gardens build around two artificial lakes. It is used to be British elite built their fine homes in the colonial times. Alfred R Venning (the State Treasurer) proposed to turn the swampy valley of Sungai Bras-Bras into botanic garden. The British Resident, Frank Swettenham strongly supports. Local Chinese community leader, Towkay Chow Ah Yeok contributed 100 white champaca and orange trees.

Lake Gardens (Taman Tasik Perdana in Malay) situated at the heart of Kuala Lumpur on land of 91.6 hectare (230 acres). The gardens incorporate the National Monument, Deer Park, Butterfly Park, Bird Park, Carcosa Seri Negara, The Forest Research Institute, Orchid Garden and Hibiscus Garden. This garden is the oldest and most popular park in Kuala Lumpur. The garden provided service of children’s playgrounds, jogging trails, fitness field, exercise stations and rowing boats.

Stadium Merdeka

Posted by: Sunny T in Stadium, Travel No Comments »

Stadium Merdeka (Independence Stadium) is an outdoor stadium for sports, games and activities both national and international. Stadium Merdeka is located in the center of the city in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. This old stadium was constructed from September, 25 1956 to August, 21 1957 and initially erected for Malaysia’s declaration of independence on 31 August 1957. The British handed over the powers to the government of the country. It is a huge outdoor stadium and accommodate around 40,000 people. In February 2003, Stadium Merdeka was named a national heritage building.

Si Ya Temple

Posted by: Sunny T in Historical, Temple, Travel No Comments »

Si Ya Temple was first built by Kapitan Yap Ah Loy in the 1864 and it is the oldest Taoist temple in Kuala Lumpur. The temple located in the Chinatown area (14A Lebuh Pudu) closed Central Market. Si Ya Temple is the local version of Sin Sze Si Ya Temple. Its uniques structure of the traditional Chinese architecture were based on Feng Shui principles.

The temple is dedicated patron deities of Sin Sze Ya and Si Sze Ya. Sin Sze Si Ya Temple is one of the 13 temples in Peninsular Malaysia that are dedicated to Xian Shi Ye. A memorial plaque in the honor of the pioneers Chan Sow Lin, Yap Ah Shak, Yap Ah Loy and Yap Kwan Seng is also places at the entrance. The deities has guided Kapitan Yap Ah Loy to defeat the enemies and defend Kuala Lumpur during the civil war in 1870 to 1873. The temple also witnessed the birth and growth of our great city Kuala Lumpur.

The temple was the Chinese religious and community center of Kuala Lumpur. Also, the place where leadership of the Chinese community held meetings and made important decision about the administration of Kuala Lumpur. The temple is famous for its charity work and done through a trust. Since 1907, the temple has been donated two thirds its income every year to charity for educational and medical purposes.

St. Mary’s Cathedral also known as Cathedral of St. Marry the Virgin located along Jalan Raja (near Independence Square), Kuala Lumpur. It is the chief office of the Anglican Bishop of West Malaysia and also mother church of the diocese. St. Mary’s Cathedral is the oldest Anglican church in Kuala Lumpur. St. Mary’s Cathedral originally made of wood and built in 1887 on Bluff Road on top of a hill (Bukit Aman, headquarters of the Royal Malaysian Police) and served as the center for workshop and spiritual activities for Anglicans who were here in those days. This wooden church took $1,363 to build and could accommodate up to 95 people.

In 1893, parishioners grew gradually and a decision was made to erect a new building; a bigger church. The new site found alongside Parade Ground, now called Independence Square (Tataran Merdeka) of the Selangor Club. The new church was supplemented by gift of $5,000 from the government of Selangor. Local contributors to the building fund included personalities like Yap Kwan Seng and K. Thamboosamy Pillay, even though they were not Christians. AC Norman (Authur Charles Alfred Norman, who also designed many heritage building around Malaya), who the British architect and also planned the Sultan Abdul Samad Building, designed this modest specimen of architecture. The church designed is based on Early English Gothic architecture and won general approval.

The foundation stone was laid on February 3, 1894 by the British Resident of Selangor, Sir W.H. Treacher; in ceramony officiated by the Bishop G.F. Hose. A pipe organ built by Henry Willis was installed in the church in 1895. Henry Willis is a famous English organ maker in 19th century. Henry Willis also made the organ for St Paul’s Cathedral in London and the original Grand Organ of the Royal Albert Hall. In 1958, the backside of the main sanctuary was extended to build a huge hall, called the Jubilee Hall. The building consists of a nave 87 feet long by 28 feet wide and channel 29 feet long by 22 feet wide with an octagonal end, together with a vestry and organ chamber. The church nave can accommodate 180 people. The channel can house a choir of 20.

St. Marry Service details

St. Marry Service details

St. Marry built at 1875

St. Marry built at 1894

St John’s Cathedral located at Jalan Bukit Nanas, next to St. John’s Institution (known as Grecian-Spanish achitecture) and closed to Bukit Nanas Forest Reserve and Kuala Lumpur Tower. The church opened in 1883, its is a Roman Catholic church and aligned to the Archdiocese of Kuala Lumpur.

St. John Cathedral Front View

St. John Cathedral Front View

St. John Cathedral Main Entrance

St. John Cathedral Main Entrance

Central Market

Posted by: Sunny T in Historical, Market, Travel No Comments »

The construction cost to built this market is $48,000. Later, there got several subsequently expended in the years of 1895, 1920, 1921 and 1933. The old market is initially built by Yap Ah Loy. The British government took over the market and extended it to 250 feet long and 90 feet wide (cost around $167,000). This new market replaced with old market which eventually become the Central Market.

The old market built to serve Kuala Lumpur large tin mining community. Its also act as wet market that sold vegetable, fresh meat, seafood and daily item. City halls earmarked the building for demolition in the early 1980s. Malaysia Heritage Trust stepped in to save the building and now become a popular market for handicraft.

Central Market is a great place to shop and tourist can find a lot of Malaysian arts and crafts, souvenirs, antique, batik, portrait painted and ceramics. There got range of more than 130 quaint shops featuring traditional arts and crafts and become a must visit center of culture arts and handicraft for visitors and tourists. Other than that, inside the building got 30 food outlets, 140 small kiosks and an exhibition corner. Many performance, demonstrations and activities offered here. Besides the market, there a venue for traditional dance displays, shadow puppet (wayang kulit) and more entertainment.

Central Market Main Door View

Central Market Main Door View

Central Market Site View

Central Market Site View